Zapping Session #30 – Week Update

Week six of seven is done! Woo-hoo! I am soooo ready for this to be over.

Last weekend, I got out of the house for a bit just for a change of scenery, but those excursions were short-lived because the fatigue was kicking in. I stopped by Silver Strand State Beach to just hang out by the ocean and let the sound of the surf be a calming influence. But after only twenty minutes, a wave of fatigue came over me and I could barely keep my eyes open, so I went home. It’s funny how it can come on so suddenly.

Monday’s session went well, and Tuesday I could tell that my bladder wasn’t quite where it needed to be, so we let another patient go ahead of me. At the end of the session, the technician commented it was worth the wait because my bladder was “perfect.”

One thing that popped up for the first time on Tuesday morning was that I noticed a small amount of blood on the toilet paper after my bowel movement. Needless to say, that concerned me considerably. I had a second bowel movement and there was no blood evident then.

I spoke with the nurse after my zapping session and she said that it’s not out of the ordinary this to happen for being at this point in the treatment. I mentioned that I have had a history of hemorrhoids that would bleed on occasion, and she said the radiation could irritate them, too. She encouraged me to make sure that my stool was soft, either through diet or stool-softeners. There hasn’t been a repeat occurrence since.

Wednesday’s session was weird. I went in feeling as though my bladder was full and after the treatment, the technician said it was barely into the treatable category and encouraged me to start drinking earlier. That frustrated me because I’ve been hydrating before going to bed, drinking a bit each time I go to the toilet (six times the night before!—so much for the Flomax working), and even starting to drink when I first wake up. Grrr.

Thursday’s session went well, cutting it almost a tad too close with bladder. Afterwards, I met with the radiation oncologist (RO) who just flew in from his vacation in Bavaria the night before.

We talked about my fatigue and how the Flomax doesn’t seem to be doing much of anything positive for me yet (it can take a week to kick in). We’ll keep an eye on things this week and beyond, although he said that the urinary issues could continue for a month or so after treatment ends.

It was interesting that, without prompting, he mentioned that it’s really the last few sessions that really do the most damage to the cancer cells and it’s not wise to stop early. I’m guessing that there are those who are tired of the side effects, as I am, who ask to cut the treatment short. Not me. I’ve come this far, I’ll finish it off.

We also talked about the follow-up plan once treatment is ended. In a nutshell, he’ll see me again in three months, near the end of November and review my PSA and if there are any lingering side effects. He agreed that these first few PSA tests will reflect the effects of the androgen deprivation therapy far more so than they will the results of the salvage radiation. He said it will be a year or more before we really know if the radiation was successful. Not a surprise to me, but nice to have it confirmed.

Even though I’ve started drinking my water earlier than I have been, I could tell that my bladder wasn’t ready for this morning’s session, so we let another patient go ahead of me while my bladder filled. No biggie. If I had another five minutes on the table, I would have fallen asleep. (Thanks, fatigue!)

Time for a nap. 😴💤

5 thoughts on “Zapping Session #30 – Week Update

  1. Sorry Dan, supplementary question as my RT commencement date approaches:

    Can you confirm what amount of water you actually drink and what the timing of your intake is compared to the time you will actually go under the Death Ray machine?

    Sure we all differ, but as the trailblazer on this I’m sure your experience can inform my ignorance!

    Cheers, Peter.


    1. Hi Peter,

      My scheduled zapping time is 9:45 a.m., and they told me to drink one liter of water, and be done drinking it 30 to 45 minutes before my scheduled start time.

      One thing that you need to factor in is a possible delay to your start time, so I figured I would have to be able to hold it until 10 a.m. or a little after.

      I would start drinking my liter at 8:45 a.m. to 8:55 a.m. and be finished at 9:15 a.m. That seemed to work for most sessions. But after the technician told me to start drinking earlier, I’ve moved my start time to 8:30 a.m. and my end time to around 9 a.m. or a little after.

      Through all of this, I’ll tweak my times or fill rate if I feel my bladder filling faster than usual.

      Try a few practice runs the week before you start to get your timing down.

      Hope that helps. Good luck!


  2. Gary

    Comment to Peter. Each centre seems to be different. At BC Cancer in Vancouver, I was told to drink 500 litres of water, one hour before my session. I found that to be manageable and was never told that I had too little or too much in the bladder.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.