Well that went just as I expected it would:
- No explanation as to why my PSA is where it’s at and why it’s doing what it’s doing (yo-yo readings).
- No willingness to state with any certainty whether I’ll experience biochemical recurrence (BCR) at some point in the future.
- No meaningful discussion of next steps until we know what we’re dealing with.
- Retest PSA in December.
So we go back into the wait, retest, and wait some more mode for the foreseeable future. I guess that’s okay, but I’m a pretty binary guy, so it really would be nice to know that, yes, the cancer is coming back or, no, it’s not. At least then you can work to come to terms with the answer even if it’s the one no one wants to hear.
We did talk some about using other imaging mechanisms to see if they can pick up on any micro-metastases if the December results are worse than where we’re at now. We also talked a little about salvage radiation therapy, hormone therapy, and the timing of each but, again, nothing that I didn’t already know from my own research.
We also discussed the recent papers that indicated BCR at 0.03 ng/ml and, while he was interested, he pretty much stuck to the standard 0.2 ng/ml definition of BCR and would be using it in the decision-making process.
I did mention that I’m in no rush to start anything (i.e., salvage treatments) until we know exactly what we’re dealing with, and that quality of life is high on my priority list if and when we get to that point.
So that’s that. No real surprises. No real revelations. Just keep on keepin’ on.
On that happy note, remember that September is Prostate Cancer Awareness month. (Hard to believe it’s only a week away! My time flies when you’re having fun…)